On the heels of Luke 10:2, we see a sobering reality that cannot be separated from the call to prayer that Jesus issues to his disciples.
2 And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. – Luke 10:2-3
We are rejoicing in the fact that over the next 6 weeks, there are over 40 short-term missionaries being sent into 4 different countries by LifePoint. We are rejoicing that in just a few weeks, we get to send one member of our church body into an unreached area of the world for 2 years.
In light of this, let us not lose sight of the truth that Jesus speaks next: ‘Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.’ As God calls out laborers to go from our church body, let us cover them in prayer! As God sends us out (across the street or across the globe), we enter into a battle for the very souls that have yet to hear and understand the saving grace found in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 6:12).
“The invitation of Jesus is a revolutionary call to fight for the heart of humanity. We are called into an unconventional war using only the weapons of faith, hope, and love. Nevertheless, the war is no less dangerous than any war ever fought. And for those of us who embrace the cause of Christ, the cost to participate in the mission of God is nothing less than everything we are and everything we have” – Erwin McManus
PRAYER FOCUS #1
- Consider the cost of obedience in following Jesus. Read the words of Jesus as they appear in Matthew 10:16-22.
- Pray that God would give you the kind of faith that would stand strong in the Lord despite hardship.
- Pray that we would be a church that counts all things as loss for the sake of the gospel. Pray that God would call more people from LifePoint to move into hard places to see the “light of the gospel of the glory of Jesus Christ” known. (Philippians 3:7-8, 2 Corinthians 4:4)
- Are you willing to suffer for Christ? Read and pray through Mark 8:34-35.
PRAYER FOCUS #2
- Pray for those that are preparing to Go over the next month (and year). Pray that they will be clothed in the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20) so that they may be able to withstand the “schemes of the devil.”
- 22 to Jamaica
- 7 to Chile
- 18 to Toronto
- 4 to Peru
- 1 to Central Asia for 2 years
- Pray that the Holy Spirit would equip and empower those going as He empowered Paul who “proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ – with all boldness and without hindrance!” (Acts 28:31)
- Pray that God destroys fear and anxiety in those going and allows them to keep their eyes on the things that are of the Lord. (2 Timothy 1:7, Philippians 4:6-8)
PRAYER FOCUS #3
- Pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world who face severe persecution every day for the sake of the Gospel. Pray that they would be steadfast in their faith, despite their circumstances, knowing that God is a good, all-powerful shepherd. Author Nik Ripkin puts it this way, “According to Jesus, faithful obedience, in every case, will cause persecution. Generally, the greater the response to the activity of God, the greater the persecution… Sheep living among wolves may, in fact, be slaughtered, but those slaughtered sheep may also (by God’s grace) be used to accomplish holy purposes.”
- Praise the Lord that HE IS MOVING amidst great persecution!
- Pray for strength and endurance for those that are at risk of losing everything.
- Read through Matthew 5:2-12. Ask the Lord to reveal to you how you can pray for those persecuted for their faith in Jesus Christ.
Rejoice in the truth that those suffering for the name of Jesus are not doing so in vain! Pray that those who live in persecution are comforted and encouraged by the truth of God’s Word. (2 Corinthians 4:7-18, Hebrews 12:1-2)