9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. 10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. – Galatians 6:9-10
Each week, we join together in praying that God would SEND laborers from LifePoint into His work among the nations. However, this week we are reminded that due to changes that have been occurring throughout the IMB (International Mission Board), of the hundreds who are coming back to the United States, leaving the “home” that they’ve know for much to most of their adult lives. Let’s pause this week to intentionally lift them up in prayer. Re-Entry can be a very difficult season for laborers who are entering in to the next season of their lives.
Below is a list of common challenges that they face – please take some time to pray that God will provide in miraculous ways and that the Holy Spirit will minister to their hearts during the transition in His infinite love and grace.
Pray for their Relationships:
- They have changed during their time abroad, and most likely, so have their families and their friends. When they try to talk about their mission experience, people may listen politely for a few minutes, then launch into an excited conversation about how the local football team is doing.
- For many their home church has changed. Perhaps most of the people they knew have since moved on, or even passed away. For some, their “home” church will under completely new leadership.
- The culture has changed. We live in a day and age where the culture changes so incredibly rapidly that those who now return home after a long assignment abroad not only deal with “reverse culture shock,” but “future shock” as many things will exist as part of every day life that did not before.
Pray for their Hearts / Minds:
- Pray against frustration, disillusionment, judgement, bitterness & hostility. Pray that the enemy does not gain a foothold in the lives of those who return home. Pray that the Lord gives them supernatural wisdom and understanding to navigate tough and frustrating conversations with others with love, truth, and grace.
Pray for Provision:
- Many who return home, in a sense, “start over.” They need to find a place to live, transportation, insurance, employment, all while dealing with the cultural changes around them. Pray that the Lord leads His people to provide generously in the transition period.
- Pray that as LifePoint is moved to action when we hear of the needs of returning M’s in our cities (there are some).
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit. – Psalm 51:10-12
If you or your LifeGroup would like to be a part of helping a missionary family as they return from the field (either through providing food, prayer support, temporary vehicles, housing etc.) please let us know at email@example.com.