“After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands and they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” – Revelation 7:9-10
Mumbai, India – a place where waves of western traditions drown the millennial rituals of a traditional India. Located in the state of Maharashtra with a population of over 20 million, Mumbai is the largest city in India. Globally, it is an economic and cultural powerhouse and although millions of people have migrated to Mumbai for a better opportunity, it is also known as a major prostitution hub where 200 women are sold into sex trafficking every day. With over 1,900 slums all over Mumbai, the needs of such a great city are endless. Let us respond to this great need for prayer together this week.
Prayer Focus #1: Human Need and Suffering
It is estimated that there are more than 200,000 victims of the sex trade, over 100,000 street children and nearly 300,000 AIDS cases in Mumbai. With over half the population living in the slums of Mumbai, they are no stranger to crime, pollution, disease, poverty and unemployment. As a result of this, many find little to no hope in their lives.
- Pray that the hope found in Christ is proclaimed among those that are suffering and pray that those who hear, believe. Ask God to send laborers into the slums to bring the word of God into their suffering hearts.
- Pray that victims of human trafficking are set free from their bondage. Ask God for healing and restoration in their broken hearts.
- Pray for the government of Mumbai to take action against human traffickers and for justice and truth to reveal itself.
Prayer Focus #2: The Unreached
There are at least 73 different people groups that remain unreached and unengaged with the gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the city. Many, specifically those in many Hindu caste groups and the Mahar (who are Buddhist), have very little opportunity to hear the gospel. Caste barriers present a huge challenge for the gospel to be proclaimed and received.
- Pray the promise and purpose of God would prevail, despite those barriers.
- There are 2 million Muslims currently residing in Mumbai with very little outreach among them. Pray for laborers to be sent to work among them. There is also great need of Scripture being translated into their heart languages and dialects. Ask God for national believers to help translate Bibles to languages that need it.
Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens. Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary. – Psalm 96: 3-6
Prayer Focus #3: September
For most Hindus, this month is dedicated to festivals that celebrate the god Ganesha, who according to Hindu mythology was born around this time of year. He is celebrated as a god of success, wisdom, and prosperity who protects and removes obstacles from one’s life.
- Pray that people would come to knowledge in the saving grace of the One who offers true hope. Ask God to show the people of Mumbai that He is bigger than any other god.
- Pray for a thirst in their hearts that cannot be quenched by any ritual or festival, but can only be satisfied by the living water of the word of God. “Jesus said to her, ‘Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirst again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’” – John 4:13-14
Prayer Focus #4: Pray that some from LifePoint would be called out to GO!
The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few! With a whopping population of more than 20 million people, Mumbai needs laborers to bring the true word of God!
- Ask God to show you ways in which you can help reap the harvest in Mumbai.
- Pray that hearts that feel the calling to go be strong and courageous and that any fears and barriers preventing them to answer the calling be taken down. “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”- Acts 1:8