Even in mission, there is a dangerous tendency & temptation to “do mission” apart from the power of God, the person of Christ, the Word of God and the Spirit of God. We must be desperate for Him! The Gospel of Jesus Christ must be our starting point, our sustaining point, and finishing point of our mission.
15 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, – 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
If we are to live on mission, for the Kingdom of God, it is not enough to say “I get the gospel.” The real question we must consider is “am I growing in the gospel?” The gospel is not exclusively about our salvation – it is also very much so about our sanctification (our becoming more and more like Jesus). There is a transforming nature to the gospel – in the power of God’s grace, it should continuously change us. In fact, over time, as we continue to apply the gospel to every area of our life (including our very purpose) we find that the gospel does not lose meaningfulness but increases in meaningfulness. As we walk in honesty and confession, we realize the depth of our sinful nature and our great need of God’s grace and forgiveness.
This week, let’s pray together, that God will deeply move us through the power of His gospel and that it is the gospel that fuels our mission.
Prayer Focus #1: Understanding
- Pray that God helps us to truly understand His grace and that Jesus is the ONLY way of salvation. Take a minute to reflect & pray, asking the Lord to reveal to you how you have tried / are trying to earn your salvation through good works. Spend a moment praying Ephesians 2:8-10 back to the Lord and ask that God reinforces that truth through the Holy Spirit in your heart and mind.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing;it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Prayer Focus #2: Repentance
- Pray that God calls our church to repentance. Pray that the Holy Spirit leads us to recognize ourselves as broken sinners, in great need and desperation for Him, and helps us make a daily decision to turn away, putting off our old self to put on the new self. Take a moment to read Colossians 3:1-17
3 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity,passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming. 7 In these you too once walked, when you were living in them. 8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self[ with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. 11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.
12 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts,kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Prayer Focus #3: Faith
- Pray that we continue to grow in our belief and faith that Jesus Christ is who He claimed to be and is able to do all that He promised to do. Pray that we come to a place that we can fully accept His forgiveness of our sins and move forward in His grace.
11 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. – Hebrews 11:1
20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. – Galatians 2:20
Prayer Focus #4: Lordship
- Pray that we, as individuals and as a church, fully surrender ALL of our being to the Lordship of Christ.
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. – Matthew 16:24-25
Prayer Focus #5: Delaware Launch
- Continue to pray for the Delaware campus launch. This week praying specifically for all those that will be sent to be a part of that launch.
- Pray that they not only fully understand and grow in the gospel – but that it may also compel them proclaim the good news throughout the city!
- Pray that on Easter morning, many who have not heard or understood the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will come, hear & believe.