Week of August 18th
It is an exciting time!
You don’t have to look far to understand that our world is changing at a pace that can seem head-spinning to some. Only a hundred years ago, most living individuals had never traveled farther than 50 miles from their homes (including in the United States). In today’s world, we can be face to face through technology with others around the world in seconds, or we can board an airplane in the U.S. and deplane virtually anywhere within 24 hours. Even some of the most historically isolated cultures on earth have found themselves in an era where they can no longer avoid connectedness to some degree.
In addition to technology uniting the world as never before, we are also presented with a changing landscape of where people now live. In the 1800’s, it was estimated that only about 3 percent of the world’s population lived in cities. Today, over half the world’s population resides in global urban centers and this seismic shift shows no evidence of slowing; we live in the age of globalization.
While many in the secular world may debate the good, the bad, and the indifferent that surrounds globalization from an economic and sociological point of view, the Church must see globalization as an extraordinary opportunity to see the gospel of Jesus Christ reach every corner of the earth.
To meet this growing trend, LifePoint, and others from the network of churches that we belong to, will be working and praying towards developing an intentional focus and coordinated effort in some of the world’s most influential cities. Over the course of the next five weeks we’ll be praying strategically for five locations; Dubai, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai and London. Why these cities? They are economically and ethnically diverse, physically and spiritually in need, regionally influential and they each hold a position of global impact. These will be great opportunities to find each country on the map, look up pictures and stories of the people that live there with your family or friends, and pray together for these places. Ask the Lord if perhaps you have a part to play as He draws the harvest in these places to Himself…
PRAYER FOCUS #1 – PRAY FOR LEADERS IN THIS MOVEMENT
- Pray for wisdom and discernment for those that are working to explore new ways of bringing the light of the gospel into places that have yet to hear. Pray that God would reveal challenges and trials as opportunities. (James 1:2–7)
- Pray that as the framework of this new era comes together, decision makers would not lean on their understanding, but would trust in the Lord with all of their hearts. (Proverbs 3:5–6)
- Pray that leaders are sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit, not bound by tradition or led astray by the cultural norms of the day. Pray that strategies can be shifted and changed as needed without compromising the truth of the gospel on which we stand. Pray that they abide in the Lord fully. (John 15:5)
- Pray for the followers of Christ already working on the ground in these cities (both internationals and nationals). That they would stand firm in the faith despite the many difficulties that they face each day. Pray for those who willingly enter into difficult, even hostile & dangerous situations, for the sake of Christ. Pray that God would clothe them with the whole armor of God, that they “may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” (Ephesians 6:10–21).
PRAYER FOCUS #2 – HIS CHURCH
- Pray that God would stir hearts to go. Pray that He would stir the hearts of students, collegiates, business professionals, engineers, medical professionals, teachers and retirees. Pray that those that He calls would have the courage to seek after next steps, to explore possibilities, and to seek after God’s own heart and purpose for their work and their lives.
- Pray that we would be doers of the word, not just hearers. Pray that as we pray God’s word back to Him, He changes us… our desires, our priorities, our perspective. Pray that we set our eyes on the eternal and run the race before us that He intended, looking after Jesus. Pray that He aligns our plans with His purpose! “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.” (Proverbs 19:21)
PRAYER FOCUS #3 – PEOPLES NEXT DOOR
- We cannot pray about cities and neglect our own, especially in light of the wave of immigration and resettlement that is taking place during this critical point in the big picture of modern missions. As we (the Church) find ourselves locked out of some of the darkest countries in the world, we see God bringing the nations to us. Pray that we respond faithfully.
- Pray that God gives us His heart for other cultures and ethnicities that live among us. “The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.” (Leviticus 19:34)
- Pray for the 22 language churches in Columbus that are a part of our network of churches. Pray that God would give them favor among their people groups as they love in the name of the Lord Jesus. (Colossians 3:12–17)
- Visit the “Welcome” page for more information and opportunity to serve internationals among us!