“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.” (2 Timothy 4:3-5)
Nearly ten million people call London home. This week, let us be faithful to pray for those that reside in this great city.
Prayer Focus #1: The People
- Multi-cultural pluralism has quickly risen to be the foundation of London society. Minority religions (predominantly Islam), astrology, new ageism, old-world paganism, and occultism have grown in popularity.
- Pray that the Lord would reveal Himself as the One and Only True God. Pray that people would come to a saving knowledge of who Jesus is. That He alone is “the way, the truth and the life” (John 14:6) and that He came “to seek and save the lost.” (Luke 19:10)
Prayer Focus #2: The Church
- Pray for awakening for the Church in London. England has for centuries been described as a Christian nation. However, today’s landscape – including that of it’s capital, London – is experiencing a shift towards nominalism, pluralism and hostility towards faith in Jesus. This plays out in both the general public and the media, threatening the freedom to express one’s faith.
- Pray that the Church in London remains steadfast in prayer and love amidst growing hostility. Pray that the church would endure and continue to love despite hatred aimed at them. “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:35)
- Pray for the God of all grace to Himself, “restore, confirm, strengthen and establish” the Church and those that follow Him in the city. Pray that the Lord would use faithful men and women “who humble themselves under the mighty hand of God” to bring about revival in London. (1 Peter 5:6-11)
Prayer Focus #3: Immigration
- Immigration remains both a massive challenge and opportunity in the United Kingdom. There are an estimated 600,000 to 900,000 illegal immigrants in the country, many of them residing in the greater London area.
- This huge surge in immigration has certainly brought many difficulties to the city. However, it has also brought a share of blessings.
- Pray for the many Christian missionaries from the Americas, Africa and Asia that have moved to London. Pray that their ministries would abide in Christ and bear much fruit. Pray that those that hear the Word of God would believe. “How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed” And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” (Romans 10:14-15)
- Pray for the many unreached people groups within reach of gospel-orientated churches throughout London. Pray that the hearts of Christ followers would be softened toward the “stranger” and they would reach out in brotherly love in the name of Jesus. “Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.” (Hebrews 13:1-2) And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17)
- Praise the Lord that despite growing hostility towards Christ followers in the city, the church is growing among many ethnic minorities. Multi-ethnic churches are sprouting up and seeing new followers of Christ from among largely unreached peoples. Pray that God continues to lead people to plant new gospel centered churches in the most unreached parts of London and that a church planting movement sweeps through the city among all nations and that shouts of joy would resound from the peoples (Psalm 98).
Prayer Focus #4: Pray that some from LifePoint would be called out to GO!